Only YOU have the control – Internal Communication is the KEY to success, especially when life gets tough.
A few weeks ago, I was given the opportunity to attend a women’s retreat. I was delighted because my husband and I are in a season of caring for my father-in-law, who is 89. After registration, I looked in my swag bag, and I pulled out a card that said,
“When you are handed lemons, make lemon cupcakes.”
I giggled, smiled, and thought, “wow, something else I can make with lemons.”
Yes, I am an optimist at heart, I try to always see the silver lining in the storm cloud, and I rely heavily on my faith to get me through tough situations. However, I have had to go deeper in my internal communication this last week. What I mean by that is I have had to spend less time on the external things I have no control over and concentrate on myself so that I can take care of myself and my family. Like myself, I have talked with many of you who are going through similar things:
- Parents who need you to care for them
- Family members with special needs
- Family members who have serious illnesses
- The sudden death of a friend or family member
All of these are tough situations, and feeling like you have to KEEP IT ALL TOGETHER creates a sense of HYPER Responsibility that can be UNHEALTHY.
Well, I’m here to tell you the only thing that you have to keep all together in tough situations is YOU! Yep, that’s right! I have been reminded that I must pay attention to myself over these last few weeks. Take care of me. Below are some reminders that I used to help me, and I hope they will help YOU.
- What story are YOU telling YOU? – You are not a wonder woman or superman. Give yourself some kindness. No one is expecting perfection.
- How are YOU taking care of YOU in a healthy way? – Never feel bad about taking some extra time for your health when life gets tough.
- Who are YOU trusting to listen to YOU talk about YOUR burdens? – Take the time to talk to your trusted few. In addition, pray, meditate, and connect with the creator. All these activities will support your mental health.
YOU will never go wrong by taking the time to go inward and listen to YOU. It is how I am able to be of better service to my family and community. I hope that YOU are taking care of YOU because YOU are uniquely important to your family and community.
I cultivate individuals for a lifetime of leadership without compromising your dreams, values, or goals. Contact me today to schedule your FREE Discovery Call!